Don't Make It Easy Program
We believe that through ongoing crime prevention education, citizens can take the right steps to keep their family, homes, and property safe. OCSD’s Don’t Make It Easy campaign is intended to encourage community members to take a few simple precautionary steps to protect themselves from crimes of opportunity.
-Lieutenant Brad Valentine
Don't Make It Easy
“Don’t Make it Easy” is a crime prevention campaign created to send safety messages out to the public through visual images. Read more in this August 31, 2016 OC Register article. On August 16, 2016, a Crime Information Presentation was presented to the Council summarizing our findings and introducing community outreach efforts. As discussed in the presentation, most crimes that occur in Lake Forest are crimes of opportunity. There are simple things you can do to decrease the chance of becoming a victim of crime. We can tell you what we mean, but isn’t it easier if we just show you? Click on the images and watch the video below to see what we're talking about.
Nearly seven months later, we have seen positive results of Don't Make It Easy. According to a March 20, 2017 OC Register article, crime is down 4% in Orange County, but the cities of Huntington Beach and Lake Forest saw the largest decreases in property crime after seeing spikes in thefts and burglaries in 2015. We have come a long way but we need to continue looking out for our neighbors and sharing all the simple ways we can protect ourselves and property.
Outsmarting "Porch Pirates"
Porch pirates are thieves who steal unattended packages from your doorstep. Parcel theft commonly occur during normal working hours but you can take simple steps to avoid being a victim.
- Deliver your package to your office, if possible.
- Hold your package at a pick-up facility so that you pick it up in person.
- Arrange to have your package delivered to a location where it will be received by someone you trust.
- Set up a specific date and time for your package to be delivered to your home when you are present.
- Leave instructions for the delivery driver to leave your package at a safe location that is out of sight.
- Sign up for delivery alerts so that you can be notified as soon as your package is delivered.
- Inquire about and request to have signature confirmation upon delivery.
- Install a Wi-Fi video doorbell to see who is at your porch.