Goal The City of Lake Forest encourages homeowners and building professionals to incorporate green building design in construction activities through the use of “green” building materials. This can be accomplished by referencing the Home Remodeling Green Building Guidelines and implementing green measures into a home remodeling project.
What Is Green Building? Green buildings are sited, designed, constructed and operated to enhance the wellbeing of occupants, and to minimize negative impacts to the community and the natural environment. The five components of green design are:
Implementing sustainable site planning;
Safeguarding water and water efficiency;
Ensuring energy efficiency and employing renewable energy;
Using conservation of materials and resources; and
Providing indoor environmental quality
Benefits of Green Design
Lower Utility Bills
Improve Indoor Health
Reduce Landfill Waste
5 Things Everyone Can Do To Go Green
1. Use recycled products such as engineered lumber, which utilizes recycled wood chips.
2. Reduce water usage by planting drought-tolerant landscaping and modify irrigation systems accordingly.
3. Use renewable resources such as bamboo flooring.
4. Improve air quality by painting with low or no volatile organic compound (VOC) paint.
5. Save energy by installing lower emittance (Low-E) windows and Energy Star appliances.