Commercial Waste & Recycling Services

Start a Recycling Program

Recycling is not only good for the environment of Lake Forest, it can be great for your bottom line too! By exchanging a trash bin with a recycle bin, your monthly bill may be significantly reduced. Getting started with CR&R is as easy as being green. CR&R will structure a program for your business, and provide training and assistance to your employees. To start a recycle program for your business contact CR&R at (949) 625-6735.

Recycling contributes to the overall well being of the City of Lake Forest, and your business. Additionally it is the law! View the following information to learn about recycling legislation, and how to ensure your business complies with mandates.

Mandatory Commercial and Multi-Family Complex Recycling Law

Assembly Bill 341 (PDF)requires California to increase its diversion rate to 75% by 2020 and includes requirements for multi-family and businesses to recycle as of July 1, 2012. The City has been working with its waste hauler CR&R on developing recycling programs. For more information regarding Assembly Bill 341, visit CalRecycle.

CR&R offers programs for both Commingled and Source Separated Recycling. For assistance in implementing a recycling program, please contact CR&R at (949) 625-6735.The CR&R Commercial Recycling Brochure (PDF) has some helpful information on recyclable items, green waste, bulky items, E-waste, and household hazardous waste.

Recycle symbol with grass texture

Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling Program

Assembly Bill 1826 (PDF) requires businesses to separate their food scraps and yard trimmings for recycling. Restaurants, super markets, large venues, and food processors generate significant quantities of food waste. Recycling and returning these organic materials to the soil drastically reduces the environmental impacts of landfills, reduces greenhouse gases, creates jobs, and helps sustain California's agricultural industry.

CR&R offers a Food Scrap Recycling collection program to assist businesses in complying with AB 1826. Acceptable items include food preparation scraps, food soiled paper, plants, flowers, coffee grounds, and much more. For more information or to set up recycling services, contact CR&R at (949) 625-6735 and ask to speak to a Recycling Specialist.

Have excess food to donate?

If you are interested in donating prepared or nonperishable food, contact one of CR&R's Food Rescue Partners: Waste Not OC Coalition.

Construction and Demolition Waste Recycling Requirements

The City of Lake Forest implemented a Construction and Demolition (C&D) Waste Recycling Program (Ordinance No. 320) to divert C&D material from California landfills and to assist the City in achieving diversion requirements mandated by Assembly Bill 939 and the California Building Standards Code. This program requires that at least 65% of C&D waste generated at “covered projects” in the City be diverted from landfill disposal through reuse and recycling. C&D material typically consists of waste generated during construction, renovation, or demolition of buildings, pavements, or other structures.

The links below provide detailed information about the City of Lake Forest’s C&D Program including the forms and reports necessary to comply with the ordinance.

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous wastes are products that are flammable, corrosive, reactive or toxic. They are dangerous to the public and the environment. It is illegal to dispose of hazardous wastes in your CR&R containers. Hazardous wastes must be disposed of properly. For more information about the disposal of hazardous waste, check out the Orange County Landfills website.